Frequently Asked Questions
Eiriol offers an independent, confidential advocacy support service for people with mental health issues; supporting those with a mental health issue of any kind. Eiriol’s service also extends to support carers of people with mental health issues.
People with mental health issues are very vulnerable and sometimes cannot speak for themselves. Eiriol is a well-respected local community organisation (Carmarthenshire and west Wales) and we have been conducting advocacy work for over 15 years. All our advocates are professionals who have or are working toward national advocacy qualifications. This results in Eiriol being able to offer support to people with mental health issues of all kinds, with the aim to assist in upholding the individual’s independence.
Eiriol currently run two main services:
1) Generic Mental Health Advocacy – supporting anyone with mental health issues.
2) Carers' Advocacy – supporting those caring for people with mental health issues.
These projects are for adults aged 18 years or over.
At Eiriol our advocates can:
– Inform clients of their rights and options and assist with complaints' procedures.
– Assist in finding other specialist support organisations e.g. solicitors, counselling services, debt advice, benefits help and housing matters etc.
– Help clients express their views by writing letters, making telephone calls and arranging meetings with professionals and support services about the client's issues.
– Prepare clients for meetings.
– Support clients at meetings e.g. with social workers, health professionals, local authority staff and others.
– Provide general help for the client to express their views and have their opinions taken into consideration.
Yes, our services can be provided in both the Welsh and English languages.
Simply contact us on 01267 231 122. You don’t need a referral, our only requirements are:
– you are suffering from (or feel you may be suffering from) a mental health issue
– you are a carer for someone who has a mental health issue
– you are aged 18 years or over and live in Carmarthenshire.
We try to begin providing advocacy services to our clients as soon as possible. However there can sometimes be a waiting list for our services. Please call us on 01267 231 122, we’ll be happy to let you know the current availability of the service you require.
No, we are a charitable organisation and offer independent advocacy services free of charge to anyone with mental health issues, and carers of people with mental health issues living in Carmarthenshire.
No, we do not offer advice: we can help you find and explore the options available to you, so you can make informed decisions yourself.
No, we don’t offer these services ourselves but we can provide details of befriending services in the local area. Please call us on 01267 231 122 if you would like us to do this for you.
No, we don’t offer these services directly, but if you’re not sure where to get this advice we can put you in touch with the right people to help you resolve your legal, benefits and housing issues. Please call us on 01267 231 122.
Unfortunately no, we’re unable to provide transport to our offices or to meetings/appointments.
Our advocates operate during working hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). If you catch us when we’re out of the office, or the phone line is busy, please leave a message on our answerphone and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible.